Thursday, February 9, 2012
Proton Therapy: A beam of hope for so many in 2012!
Until 1990 all proton therapy was delivered in high-energy, physics-research laboratories. Loma Linda University Medical Center and James M. Slater, changed that. Dr. Slater's major field of interest prior to becoming a physician was physics. Therefore, he was already aware of the clinical interest in protons and other heavy charged particles.
In 1990, after almost 20 years of research, Loma Linda University Medical Center, in cooperation with Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory and the Proton Therapy Cooperative Group, opened the world's first hospital-based proton-beam accelerator dedicated to the treatment of patients with cancer. Though not a cure for all forms of cancer, it has become a major advancement in the treatment of "localized cancer," a malignant tumor that is still in its original site and has not yet spread throughout the body.
Today 11 (9 US, 2 international...NCC Seoul and Rinicker Center Munich) centers are recognized as destinations for proton beam therapy for treatment. Read more here at the National Proton Therapy Organization. 7 centers are now in construction or development within the US. Over 90,000 have been treated with proton beam therapy. There are many support white papers and 15 year clinical studies published in support of proton (you will find most here on this blog). Most insurance carries approve this FDA approved treatment. If not insured you will find some US centers with a cash out of pocket program or travel abroad to NCC Seoul or Rinicher Center for affordable treatment costs.
If you have discovered PBT you are fortunate and have taken charge of your treatment decsion. Please read the many posts here. This may just give you a peace of mind in your cancer journey. Best of health to all!
- ▼ 2012 (2)
- ► 2010 (17)
Prostate Cancer? Proton Daily's Reading
- "I think proton therapy will become the treatment of the century."
- Comparison Tables proton, photon(xray, IMRT) Prostatectomy
- How a balloon can save prostate cancer patients freom impotence
- Korea promotes medical tourism to attract proton therapy patients
- Moms Story battling cancer with protons
- Poling Says PR Strategy Needed to Facilitates Medical Tourism in Korea
- Prostate cancer treatment sex truths played down
- Prostate Cancer? A "Secret" Treatment Possibility
- Prostate Proton Therapy
- Proton Boost May Thwart Prostate Cancer's Return
- Proton Therapy for Prostate Cancer-Knol
- Proton treatment for prostate cancer results in few complications
- Protons promise lower second-cancer risk
- Risks & complications of radical prostatectomy/what I wanted to avoid
- The other consequence of prostate cancer surgery or Soggy side effects put a damper on recovery
- The Size of the Proton Measured with Lasers
- With Cancer, Let’s Face It: Words Are Inadequate
- With prostate cancer treatment, who you see is often what you get
My Blog List
Where Did April Go? - Studies too numerous to count continue the “drum beat” regarding the “Proton”. It really is too bad that salesmanship by a sharp salesperson can defeat man...1 week ago
Prostate Cancer Foundation, Hopkins Introduce Nationwide, Interactive PC Surveillance Program - I have been silent lately and can’t write much now because my hand is strained from too much typing. My thumb feels like it’s going to disengage from my f...2 years ago